Yes, I do know that it's been a month since my last blog update.
I could make myself sound all busy and important by talking about how swamped I am with work and parenting and organizing mom's group stuff and all that, but the truth of the matter is, I'm just fantastically lazy when it comes to blogging.
I have lots to talk about, but when I sit down at my computer with the intention of blogging, I start thinking such things as, "You know, I could be updating my Amazon wish list right now" or "I wonder if any cute shoes are on sale at Bluefly" or "Oh, I got an email! Let's go read it!"
And then I surf away from Blogger and all is lost.
OK, so, here I am. The good thing about me updating my blog is that now I can go and read all of my friends' blogs and catch up with what's going on with them. See, when I'm not blogging, I feel too guilty about not blogging to read anyone else's blogs, because then I start thinking, "Oh damn...all my friends and my sister and my brother-in-law and everyone I know is updating blogs on a regular basis. I'm so slack. I feel so bad about myself I think I'll go to Amazon and buy a new book."
But enough of my whining about my laziness.
Time to get serious! In 12 days, on November 4th, something historical and monumentally important will occur...
My 38th birthday.
Oh, yeah, and we get to pick a new President or something.
So, out of curiosity, and a little bit of despair over my voting choices, I cruised over to VoteMatch to see which of our pathetic candidates was least likely to homicidally piss me off in the next four years. (and because I like to vote on candidates based on their views on important societal issues...what a concept, right?)
VoteMatch decided that, based on my answers to a multitude of questions about social, economic, military and education issues, I should vote for Libertarian candidate Bob Barr. Now, Bob and I only completely match on 48 percent of the issues. But that was still better than McCain (40 percent), or Obama (18 percent). Still pretty pathetic, though.
Some people say that voting for a 3rd-party candidate is just tossing your vote away, but with the electoral college system, it's pretty much guaranteed that my state (South Carolina) is always going to give its votes to whatever Republican is running, so it's almost like my vote doesn't matter anyway, so I should vote for whoever I want. How freeing!
OK, here are some other great, non-partisan websites everyone should read before they cast their ballot:
The PolitiFact Truth-O-Meter
FactCheck
Project Vote Smart
Electoral Compass
Smart Voter
And, on Nov. 4, no matter who you vote for, please....
feel free to send me a birthday present.

5 comments:
hmmm...I got 40% for Bob Barr too :)
Hope ur excited about your birthday coming up! See you next weekend, E
I'm excited about getting presents. Not necessarily about the birthday, but presents are good.
:-)
It's your birthday on November 4th??? Ahhh crap. Now I have a reason to not vote now! Actually, I already voted...absentee and all that. I voted 15 times! I figure that I am at least 15 times as smart as most people so I should have my vote counted more than the average joe. I guess that makes me a Democrat....
Anywho, South Carolina used to always vote Democrat until the last few decades, I think Jimmy Carter broke SC of that.
Well, we do keep electing Democrat Lindsay Graham...oh, wait...he's a Republican. I keep forgetting.
Post a Comment